Sunday, April 13, 2008

current reading - Metamorpha by Kyle Strobel


I'm not sure I like his writing style and I have disliked the word "deconstruct" for years, since back in the the day when John Barth was called a "post-modern" writer. But I've been impressed with how the topics in this book speak to things that have come up in other areas of my life.

First some quoting that may be of interest to my son who is interested in "spiritual" things. I'm taking out some of the Christian references because he gets squirmy about such things.
"...' But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things.' ... we are called to be spiritual, not in an esoteric sense, but in how we see reality. [author's emphasis] Being spiritual in this sense is coming to see the way God would have us see. Being spiritual means finding one's view of reality in the Spirit of God rather than in one's own flesh."- p.101

And then I want to exclaim to my pastor, who has been preaching about RELATIONSHIPS, that I have been reading a lot about relationships in this book . Here's what I read today:
"When the Spirit is seen through a Western worldview, he often becomes an empowering force rather than an intimate friend. Failing to see our relationship with the Spirit in relational terms (marriage. union, intimacy) will typically lead to an impersonal focus on ourselves rather than then God." - p.96

I really like the website too (although us old ladies could be grateful for less pastel font colors)

2 comments:

Martin Hutchison said...

Cathy,

I have looked at this book many times... have never purchased it because it is similar to lots of other good books I have read!

Love the quote about relationships and agree very much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the snippet. A good reminder for me that I must view my relationship with God from a spiritual perspective. A verse that comes to mind now that you've got me thinking comes from Proverbs 3:5-6 (Assurance of Guidance);

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

Grace and peace be with you.