Saturday, May 10, 2008

More daily life


The mundane is taking up my mindspace lately. Today feels like an excellent day for ironing. It's coldish and damp and Prairie Home Companion will be on the radio this evening.

I'm keeping my mind away from worry about money. Last week's sermon was on worry and Pastor Martin had a string of great quotations which I'll post here if I can find them. Meanwhile Philippians 4:6 is the best:
6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

I avoid tv news and I follow current events with comedy shows - The Daily Show on TV and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me podcasts (NPR). WWDTM is good dishwashing entertainment and it makes me laugh out loud.

Last week I was enchanted by adolescents. Now this week if I see an adolescent, I will probably cross the street. Last week a student's cruelty to another brought me to tears and reminded me of the hurt I inflicted on another kid when I was in the seventh grade. I can remember vividly how mindless my act of cruelty was. (Thanks to the internet I found the kid I hurt had died recently after raising a family and receiving honors at work.) I can also remember the hurts I had at that age.

I picked up some information about playing guitar in other tunings. I guess I'll listen to some music on Pandora today as I do weekend type home chores.

If I'm really industrious today, I'll water my three plants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, in resolving to not stress over money!! The Lord knows it's so easy for us to let that become such a hangup.

For where your treasure is, there your heat will be also.
Matthew 6:21

Grace and peace be with you Cathy