Saturday, May 31, 2008

Opportunity


I recently read In A Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day. It read like a "how to" book written by a motivational speaker ... not what I was hoping for. But evidently I was in need of some motivation. I liked the authors that the writer cited, and the science that he used to illustrate ideas, so I read with great interest. Before I had finished the book, I even knew who I was going to pass the book on to.
One of the big Main Points of the book was that one should be open to opportunity, especially small opportunities that point the way to larger opportunities. In that spirit I responded to a number of small job notices. Yesterday I recieved word that I was offered a remedial science job for high schoolers. I'm already slated to teach Go for two weeks this summer and this job fits perfectly into the two weeks between the Go weeks.
It's not going to be easy. I have to learn a lot of molecular biology between now and then. I also have to learn a lot about the state-wide testing system. But it's an opportunity.

No comments: