Saturday, August 2, 2008

Next year - origami


Yesterday my "SummerScholar" course for gifted students concluded. I was teaching the game of Go and threw in some origami for variety. The kids responded very positively. But if I want to work in the program next year, I've got to come up with something different because Go doesn't draw enough students. 
Like a heavenly sign, e-mail from TEDS last night sent me here:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/robert_lang_folds_way_new_origami.html
Origami is exactly what the doctor ordered! And I've been fiddling with origami almost as long as I've been fiddling with Go.
We can't just spend 3 hours a day making little animals. But there's lot's of math and science in it (as the video points out too) and we could do paper airplane experimentation for variety.

No comments: